Book Now


Summer Activities
Winter Activities
Ski Slopes for beginners
Bialka Tatrzanska
Karol Szymanowski Museum
Kasprowy Wierch
Morskie Oko
Wieliczka Salt Mine
Krupowki Street - Pedestrian Zone


Rysy is a mountain in the top crest of the High Tatras, lying on the border between Poland and Slovakia. Rysy has three peaks: the middle at 2,503 m, the north-western at 2,499 m, and the south-eastern at 2,473 m. The north-western peak is the highest point of Poland, the other two peaks are on the Slovak side of the border, in the Prešov Region.

 Experts assume that the Polish and Slovak name Rysy, meaning "scratches" or "crevices", refers to a series of gullies, either those on the western slopes of Żabie Ridge or the very prominent 500 m high gully and numerous smaller ones on the northern side. A folk explanation on the Slovak side says that the name comes from the plural word rysy meaning "lynxes", although the habitat of the lynx does not extend above the timberline.

 The Hungarian name Tengerszem-csúcs and the German name Meeraugspitze mean "eye-of-the-sea peak", from the glacial lake at the northern foot of the mountain, called "eye of the sea" (Morskie Oko).

 Rysy is accessible to individual tourists on foot without a mountain guide. It is possible to ascend the peak from the Slovak side, starting at Štrbské pleso and passing Chata pod Rysmi, a mountain chalet at an altitude of 2,250 m, open during the summer season (May–October). The mountain can also be ascended from the Polish side coming from the Morskie Oko lake, which is a harder and steeper route. In the period November 1 - June 15, the trail on the Slovak side is closed.

The border can be crossed between 16 June and 31 October. For only in this period is the trail open on the Slovak side. Since the accession of Poland and Slovakia to the Schengen Agreement in 2007, however, the border between the two countries may be easily crossed at this point like at any other. Note, however, that despite the absence of border controls, when travelling from one to another European Union country, you need to carry with you some sort of identity document (ID card or passport).